Sunday, January 11, 2009

My MS almost Ruined Dinner

We got a gift card from my brother-n-law for this restaurant in town so we decided to go tonight. It's called Big River. Its a chain or branch of Gordon Birch which has several different places around the country with several different names.

We stopped at a used book store before we got there to do some trade ins. I found some great craft books, one in particular which is on my Amazon wish list. It was packed, as it usually is, and I don't know if the heat was on or there was just too many people in there, but it was warm to say the least.

I managed to get out of there without an issue, but I guess I didn't have time to cool off enough before we got to the restaurant. I didnt feel to hot when we got there or when we took a seat in the bar to avoid the line, but then it started coming on strong. I got a little fuzzy in my head and felt a bit sick. I stepped outside to try to get some cool air, but it was raining and all the smokers were huddled under the overhang.

I went back in and told the waitress that I have MS and the heat was making it bad. I felt so bad that I was going to ruin dinner. I almost started crying. We were sitting on bar stool without backs and there was a big light right on the whole table, so I asked her if we could move to one of the other tables as soon as one came available. She said yes and let us sit and wait it out.

She didnt have to do that. I know that time is money for wait staff. I used to be one, and I can totally relate. She was very understanding and didn't act weird or make me feel uncomfortable about the situation.

It didn't take too long for a table to clear out and we moved over to the side where the light was on my husband's side of the table and not mine. He had gotten me a wet papertowel out ot the bathroom to put on my face while we were waiting, went and got a pony tail holder out of the car, and I took my shoes of as soon as we moved table. I love my husband for being so understanding too.

After we moved I started feeling better so we could order. I could actually focus on the menu and concentrate enough to pick out something to eat. I didn't ponder on it too much though.

Im am very thankful for the waitress for being so nice and I left her and extra 5 bucks on top of her 20% tip. So she ended up with an almost 50% tip. She deserved it. She really help make the situation better.

4 comments:

azoyizes January 11, 2009 at 2:08 PM  

I'm sorry you felt bad at the restaurant. Isn't it wonderful when someone goes out of their way to be nice?

Anonymous,  January 11, 2009 at 9:55 PM  

I completely know how that feels.
"Heat Sensitivity" is most challenging symptoms with MS. Too often, I have had to ask waiters if they could turn the air conditioning on in their restaurant. Thank God, they have always accommodated me.

I have also had to take my napkin and wet it in my water glass for FAST relief!

Thank you so much for offering this experience (even though it wasn't fun :( ). So many people with MS think they are alone.

Blessed! January 11, 2009 at 10:00 PM  

That's great that you were able to get help! Thanks for sharing your story.

Kim@stuffcould.... January 15, 2009 at 9:44 PM  

It took forever before my family finally realized how heat turns me into jelly, now I freeze alot and people are still asking me if I am too hot. It is great to have understanding people around.

Post a Comment

BlogCatalog

MyBlogLog

Followers

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP